7 Tips to Keep Your Content Marketing Ideas Flowing: How to Avoid Burnout and Overwhelm - Meraki & Co
You’ve heard the statistics: people are spending more time watching videos and reading articles than ever before. But as a marketer or business owner, you may have found yourself wondering where all those content ideas are going to come from, especially if your company doesn’t have an in-house content team. The good news is that it’s never been easier to create compelling marketing content. The bad news? It’s never been harder to do consistently and at scale. One way to avoid burnout and overwhelm when producing content is by getting organized and having systems in place so you know where your time goes—and how much time you actually have available for creating new pieces of content. Let’s dive into the seven best tips we’ve found for keeping yourself sane while still putting out stellar material that gets results:
1. Use a content calendar
I cannot stress this enough! Planning out your content in advance can help you avoid feeling overwhelmed and ensure that you always have something new to share with your audience. Use a content calendar to map out your content topics, publication dates, and promotion strategies. This can help you stay organized and avoid the last-minute scramble to come up with new content.
Here are some ways content calendars work:
- They help prevent burnout by giving writers time between projects; this allows them time for research, brainstorming new ideas and getting feedback from editors or colleagues before jumping into another project.
- They allow writers more flexibility around deadlines because they don’t have as much pressure when they know exactly when their next piece of writing will be due (and therefore know how much time they need beforehand). This helps eliminate writer’s block too!
2. Define your target audience and write for them instead of for yourself
The first step to creating content that your audience will love is understanding who they are and what they want. This means you need to define your target audience, which can be done in a number of ways:
- Survey your existing customers or subscribers. Ask them questions about themselves and their needs so you know exactly who you’re writing for. You could also use Google Analytics to see where people come from when visiting your site (this will help show whether there are any specific demographics or interests among those visitors).
- Use personas–an imaginary representation of an ideal member of an audience–to guide how you write copy that appeals directly to them. When creating a persona, think about things like age group, gender identity/expression, race/ethnicity/culture/national origin; education level; occupation type (full-time vs part-time); location (city vs rural area), etc., then write accordingly! Personas help writers understand how best to reach out through messaging by giving insight into potential buyers’ wants/needs while also providing insights into what kind of language would resonate most with each group member’s unique perspective.”
3. Look to your audience for inspiration
Your audience is full of people who have problems and questions—and they’re also full of people who are looking for answers. They’re searching for products or services that can solve their problems, or trying to find the best way to get a specific task done. They may even be looking for ways to make money or improve their lives in some other way.
Take a look at what your audience is doing right now, and try to answer the questions they’re asking themselves. You’ll come up with better content and better marketing as a result!
4. Repurpose old content
Just because you’ve already covered a topic doesn’t mean you can’t revisit it from a new angle. Take a look at your old blog posts, videos, or social media updates and see if there’s a way to update or repurpose them. Maybe you can turn an old blog post into a video or create an infographic based on your most popular social media updates.
5. Brainstorm with a friend or colleague
Sometimes all it takes is a fresh perspective to spark some new ideas. Grab a coworker, friend, or fellow content creator and spend some time bouncing ideas off each other. You never know what might come up in conversation that could inspire your next piece of content.
6. Keep a running list of ideas
Inspiration can strike at any time, so it’s important to have a system for capturing your ideas. Whether you prefer to use a notebook, a note-taking app, or a whiteboard, make sure you have a place to jot down your ideas as they come to you. That way, you always have a list of potential content topics to choose from.
7. Batch Content Creation
For example, you might batch all your blog posts or social media updates for the week on Monday and then just share them out throughout the rest of the week. This way, you don’t have to worry about creating content every single day and can spend more time doing other things in between batches (like working on bigger projects). Bonus points if you use a platform to automate distributing that content so there is even less to worry about.
Batching is also good for when you want to get ahead on something so that it doesn’t feel as overwhelming later on down the road–for example, if you know you’re going to be away for two weeks and won’t have access to a laptop or Internet connection (or both), you can batch create content and automate it’s distribution.
Generating fresh content ideas can be a challenge, but with these tips and strategies, you’ll be well on your way to creating a steady stream of engaging content that resonates with your audience. Remember, creativity is a muscle that needs to be exercised regularly. Keep experimenting, stay curious, and don’t be afraid to try something new. Happy content creating!
Prefer to hand off this type of work to professionals so you can stay in your zone of genius? We get it. Our team of experienced professionals is ready to take on the task and help your business thrive. Don’t waste any more time struggling to keep up with your online presence.
Let us do the heavy lifting and create a customized strategy that’s tailored to your unique needs and goals. From social media management to SEO optimization, we’ve got you covered. Reach out to us today to schedule a consultation and let’s work together to make your business stand out and reach its full potential!